What is Elder Law?
Elder law can involve estate planning, living wills, or retirement planning. Legal issues for the elderly, disabled and their families can be complicated. Laws and regulations involving Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, nursing homes, assisted living, special needs trusts and benefits planning can be difficult to understand and change often.
How an Elder Law Attorney Can Help
At Schulz Stephenson Law we can assist you in drafting a WILL to transfer property at death. We can also help you develop a comprehensive care plan for your loved ones or for you, including financial planning for quality care and asset protection, assembling a caregiver team and connecting with appropriate community services and outreach.
ELDER LAW SERVICES INCLUDE:
- Asset protection planning;
- Assistance with guardianship proceedings;
- Evaluation of long-term care insurance options;
- Preparation of advance directives for financial and health care decision making;
- Evaluation of opportunities to qualify for benefit programs, including Medicaid, SSI and North Carolina Special Assistance;
- Advocating for seniors in nursing homes and with in-home service providers;
- Creating "care teams" for seniors and disabled adults, including geriatric care managers, accountants, financial planners and home care providers;
- Crisis planning for seniors, disabled adults and their families.